Friday, April 29, 2011

In Honor of My Grandfather

George Thomas Adams
(known as Tom)

-Born August 26, 1923 to
Viola Harrison and George Thomas Adams.
He is the eldest of 3 with sisters, Carma and Carol

-He was in the Coast Guard during World War ll

-He met my Grandma, Wilma, while attending BYU
and will be married 63 years in October

-He taught 5th and 6th graders for 33 years

-He worked 35 years with the U.S. Forest Service

-During retirement we was very involved with the Senior Kiwanis Club of Orem


Together they have 4 sons, 18 grandchildren,
and 15 great-grandchildren with 3 on the way

My grandpa loved life, the church, and his FAMILY


Some Key Memories:

-Attending BYU Football games with just he and I

-Driving around and collecting aluminum cans to be recycled, which he would then donate the money he earned into his grandkids saving accounts.

-Visiting him at the Snack Shack to get candy and snowcones.

-He was always the one who would wash the dishes after dinner. also, my place at the table while growing up was on a stool between my dad and him.

-He gave the best backrubs!

-Crawling in bed with my Grandma and him when i was scared at night.

-The FAMOUS candy bowl in the cupboard stocked with goodies especially Wrigley's Gum

-He was a great whistler, while driving around he would just whistle away~ i loved it!

-He loves kids and would always light up when they were around.

-my last great memory was sitting on his bed while holding his hand at the hospital where for the first time in years he really conversed with me. (my grandpa has had dementia for quite awhile and hasn't been his usual self) He passed away three days later.

It was a wonderful and special day that my family and I got
to spend with my Grandpa a few days before he passed
and very fitting that it was Easter Sunday.
That day he was wide awake and talking a ton.

some things he spoke about were:

about Heaven: "I'll go prepare some stuff and tell them the Adams clan is here. Look out! We know what they did down here, we'll see what it's like up there." "New way of life, work on those that aren't LDS up there." "Heaven look out! I'll soon be coming. Stir 'em up a bit!"

about Grandma: "She's been good. I think I'll keep her awhile."

about my Uncle Ron who passed away 3 weeks prior to the day of my Grandpa:"I'm going to kick his butt. Play a trick like that and go ahead of me."

to the Grandkids: "Behave, be honest, courteous and kind, and find some snotty ones and beat them up.
Peace is the thing to be."

"When we're all gone and you guys are alive get together for a gabbing session."

I love you Forever Grandpa!!!

p.s. my cousin, Emily, did a great post on our Grandpa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great thing you did Jami. you are Loved very much. Your Grandpa loved you. I love you to DAD

Carolyn Howell said...

Great tribute to your Grandpa Adams. Well done sweetie. xoxo